Tinder, currently the world’s most popular online dating app, boasts 9 million matches – and it’s free. So if you’re looking for some romance, it’s likely the best place to start your journey.
But if you’re new to Tinder, or to online dating in general, you’ll want to make yourself look as attractive as possible, just like you would on a first date. Not only that, but you need to know the right way to look for Mr. or Mrs. Right.
Luckily, we’ve put together some fantastic tips to make your journey successful. So read on, and give a boost to your love life!
Helping Them Find You
You can learn a lot about online dating from running an online company. You need to maximize impressions in order to have the best statistical chance of finding “the one”. It’s like a giant SEO battle, but you’re trying to get ranking for yourself.
The more engaging your profile is, the more people will want to look at you and, most likely, message you. The more active you are on Tinder, the more people will see your profile and generate an interest in pursuing you. The more people you meet, the more likely you are to meet your match. So, how do you make yourself more popular on Tinder?
- Look amazing. Your main profile picture is the first thing they see, so find a really good picture of yourself and stick it on there. Get some color in there to make your photo stand out from the others. For best results, include multiple profile pictures. Otherwise, people might think you’re a Catfish.
- Don’t be sexy. Just kidding – we know you can’t help it. But if your main profile picture shows a girl in a bikini or a guy flexing with his shirt off, viewers won’t think you’re looking for a serious relationship.
- Limit group shots. It might not be clear which person is you – and in a group of friends, you don’t want the attention anywhere but you! And even though you might look really great as a bridesmaid or groomsman, never include photos with a bride or anything that might remind viewers of a wedding. You haven’t even been on a first date, yet!
- Share your interests. Opposite personalities may attract, but if you don’t have any of the same interests, the conversation will be awkward and the relationship brief. It might work for some people, but the overwhelming phenomenon of lasting relationships is that people with similar interests and backgrounds tend to have better, stronger relationships. Sociologists call this “homophily.” List your interests on your profile, but don’t stop there: your Facebook profile is linked to your Tinder account, so find pages related to your interests and like them. This helps the algorithm to search for people with common interests.
- Log in. If someone initiates a conversation with you, they want a response sooner rather than later. They have taken a risk, so ease their nerves by replying as soon as possible. If they see you haven’t logged onto Tinder for weeks, they aren’t likely to reach out to you, and they might not even reply if you do eventually write them back. But avoid replying after about 10:00 PM unless you are already engaged in a conversation. It might send the wrong message about what type of relationship you want to find.
Helping You Find Them
Success on Tinder happens when you exercise the right mixture of open-mindedness and selectivity. Here’s how to make the most of your searches and opening messages:
- Be bold. Don’t wait to be flattered by “likes.” Get out there. If you like someone’s profile, tell them. There’s a risk they’ll say “No, sorry” – in which case, you can pout a little and then move on. Just don’t be afraid to tell someone you like them. If everyone let fear of rejection keep them from reaching out, Tinder would be a pretty boring place.
- Discover what you like. You may think you have the perfect person in mind, but the sea is way too big to look for one fish. So as you look for him, don’t ignore all the other great people out there. You might find your dream guy looks different than you thought he would.
- Don’t get stuck on #1. Research shows that if you like what you see on the first profile picture you view, you’ll also be attracted to the second.
- Don’t limit your search to local. On Tinder, you can connect with people all over the world – something you would never be able to do with traditional dating. Sure, local matches might be preferable – but if you find the right person, distance becomes less important. And technology has made it possible to share far more experiences with a long distance partner than ever before.
You’re ready for love, so go get it. Sign up with Tinder, sign in, and embrace the addiction of swiping until you find your perfect match!